Four years ago, I released two pilot episodes of The Queer Public Podcast to great reviews. To this day, those episodes and trailer receive consistent downloads and I’ve continued to chase stories, collect tape and plan out QP’s inaugural season. I am very excited to announce I am hiring an editor! For all of those who listened and loved, who wrote to ask for more content and asked when we’d be back, this is the beginning of the end of your wait: QP is getting made and it could be because of you.
If you love and have experience in long-form narrative storytelling, love collaboration, are a Hindenburg wiz and can give up 2 months to tell stories for the queer community, you’re probably a good fit. The position is Philly based but I can accommodate out of town freelancers for the right person.
Queer Public is a podcast about queer identity, queer culture, and queer politics. Each episode is a highly produced story meant to make you think about our relationship to the queer community. Our first season explores power and privilege and the way it shapes our experiences from the margins.
The ideal candidate will be a confident editor, storyteller, and collaborator with the ability to contribute ideas on music, sound design, and scripting. They will have the ability to think critically, execute story drafts independently and take notes and direction. I am looking for someone who is able to fully immerse themselves in the craft for the duration of the contract, and who is committed to telling queer stories.
This position is Philadelphia based for 6 weeks, with some flexibility surrounding schedule. Ideally would like to start in February. If needed, accommodation can be provided. Open to all levels and types of experience. For questions about the position, you can contact me directly at email@example.com.
- Edit storylines and narrative on the production of 6 episodes
- Assist in scripting, sound design, music, and drafting
- Exercise critical thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to think outside of the box
- Exercise time management, clear spoken and written communication
- A passion and affinity for first-person narrative storytelling for the queer community
- Demonstrated experience in audio production and storytelling for the ear
- Some experience in sound design, music supervision, and editing
- The ability to manage time and work independently
- The ability to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines
- Excellence in audio editing with ProTools, Hindenburg or another editing software. Must provide own software if other than Hindenburg.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- The ability to work longer hours when needed, the ability to stay motivated and focused for weeks at a time.
- Educational background in audio or film documentary, music, communications, or social sciences a plus.